About The Lieutenant Robert P. Grover Memorial Park
The Lieutenant Robert P. Grover Memorial Park is located at the northwest corner of Broadman Parkway and John F. Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City. It is one of numerous municipal “pocket” parks which can be found throughout the city. Slightly less than one hundred feet square, Lt. Grover Park lies in the shadow of Snyder High School which stands directly across the street on Kennedy Boulevard.
The park features a fenced-in grassy area with several large shade trees. A pathway curves across the park connecting the Broadman Parkway entrance with another on Kennedy Boulevard. Recently, a local neighborhood organization, the Redstone Townhomes Neighborhood Association, has partnered with the City of Jersey City and the SIM-P Planning and Architecture Group to develop a plan for improving and enhancing the park with new seating areas and floral plantings which will make it more attractive and user-friendly.
About The Redstone Townhomes Neighborhood Association (RTNA)
RTNA was established by a small group of committed volunteers which felt that a better quality of life can be achieved through community planning.The Board of Directors includes:
- President, Julio Leiva
- Vice President Mary Golden
- Secretary Mira Prinz Arey
Jersey City residents within the boundaries of, Culver Avenue, College Street, College Drive, Towers Street, Broadman Parkway, Audubon Ave, Grant Street, Stegman Parkway, Stegman Terrace, Stegman Court, and Stegman Place will be able to share ideas and actively work with the public sector to better the quality of life for residents in the community.
Broadman Parkway was officially opened in 1920 and the surrounding lots were soon available for sale and residential development. Original plans for the site called for the construction of several large brick apartment buildings fronting on the western side of Kennedy Boulevard. These plans were never realized and, in 1925, the property was purchased by Henry Roth and Howard R. Cruse. A successful and civic-minded lawyer, Cruse chaired the committee which erected the statue of Abraham Lincoln at the entrance to Lincoln Park in Jersey City. The future site of Lt. Grover Park remained unimproved and was eventually purchased by or donated to the city and was later known as State Teachers Triangle.
The main feature of the park is the memorial built to honor the memory of Lieutenant Robert P. Grover, the first Jewish serviceman from Jersey City to die in combat during World War II. The monument was erected by the Lt. Robert P. Grover Post #377 of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States and the park was officially dedicated and renamed in his memory on May 11, 1952.
The tall fluted monument is located in the center of the park. It is painted white and stands on a large three-stepped base. There was once a bronze eagle perched at the top of the monument. A single bronze plaque is affixed to the front of the monument which bears the following inscription: “This park dedicated to the memory of Lt. Robert P. Grover, the first of his faith from this city who gave his life in World War II fighting to preserve the American Way of Life and in honor of all others in this community who served their country. Sponsored by Lt. Robert P. Grover Post 377, Jewish War Veterans of the United States.”