The Parks Coalition is a community of 21 parks working on empowering and developing a more sustainable Jersey City community. Every day, these Jersey City Parks are able to bring the community together through serving the recreational needs of residents and by providing a mechanism of recuperation from the stresses and strains of urban life. Through initiatives such as the Tree Lover’s Crew, these open spaces are also being utilized to bring awareness about the City’s depleted tree canopy and what community members can do to help with this decline by learning how to maintain their local trees and encouraging residents to plant more trees.
Arlington Park encompasses 3.52 acres, is located in Ward F on Grand Street and Arlington Avenue. It is primarily a passive park with large lawn panels and mature trees.
Audubon Park occupies the entire city block fronting Kennedy Boulevard to the west, Stegman Street to the south, Audubon Avenue to the north, and Bergen Avenue to the east and is named for the adjacent Audubon Avenue. Originally known as Kilpatrick Street, Audubon Avenue started as a small country lane running west from Bergen Avenue. The narrow road provided carts and wagons with access to the numerous small farms and greenhouses that once prospered in the neighborhood. The name Audubon Avenue first appears on maps and other official records around the turn of the twentieth century. Presumably, the street name was chosen in honor of the work of the famous naturalist and painter John James Audubon (1785-1851), although there is no known connection between him and the area.
Bayside Park encompasses 9.23 acres, is located in Ward A on Garfield Avenue. It is one of the largest parks in Jersey City and contains a pleasant mixture of active and passive recreation. Many of the facilities are lit for night-time use. On June 24, 2017, our Tree Lovers Crew went to the park to prune and water the trees within the park. We were joined by some neighboring residents to help us in the first tree workshop of Summer 2017. The workshop was lead by former Jersey City Arborist Ryan Metz who taught everyone best practices for caring for our local trees.
Berry Lane Park Is one of the Jersey City Park that was redeveloped in 2015. On August 26, 2017, the Tree Lovers Crew was able to prune and maintain the trees bordering the large reconstructed park. We were joined by the Berry Lane Garden Club to help with the pruning and learn more about the park’s trees. They meet every Saturday morning to help weed and maintain the flowering beds within the park.
Columbia Park encompasses 4.72 acres, is located in Ward A on Kennedy Boulevard. It is primarily a passive park, with numerous curvilinear paths, lawn panels, and large trees.
Hamilton Park encompasses five tranquil acres in downtown Jersey City, NJ, bordered by 8th and 9th streets to the south and north, and McWilliams Place and West Hamilton Place to the east and west.
Hamilton Park Conservancy is a 501c3 non-profit organization whose goal is to help preserve and maintain the beautifully restored Hamilton Park in downtown Jersey City. The Park is located within the historic district of Hamilton Park. HPC strives to achieve this goal by working with the City and the Community, making sure the Park remains a beautiful and safe place for everyone to share and enjoy.
Harsimus Branch Embankment is a massive, segmented stone structure that runs for six blocks through Downtown Jersey City parallel to Sixth Street.Part of the once-mighty Pennsylvania Railroad freightway, the historic Embankment played a key role in shaping the Downtown and in the development of the Port of New York and New Jersey. The Embankment is listed on the State Register of Historic Places, is eligible for the National Register, and is a Jersey City Municipal Landmark.The Pennsylvania Railroad Harsimus Stem Embankment Preservation Coalition has an extensive website. There is also a Wikipedia page with some history, as well as links to previous press stories.
Historic Jersey City & Harsimus Cemetery is a National Treasure. Prior to the creation of the Cemetery in 1829, it’s historical significance dates back to the 1700’s as the site of Revolutionary War skirmishes, and an active Ammunition Bunker during the War of 1812 that still stands proudly on our grounds. Now the sacred eternal resting place of thousands of soldiers from the Revolutionary & Civil Wars, the War of 1812, the Spanish-American War, WWI and II, forward, as well as home to our earliest Jersey City founders, leaders, residents, and legends. With its 200-year-old English Ivy adorning many of the towering trees, and the monumental works of art, this 6-acre sanctuary of peace and unique history is one of the most beautiful natural settings in Jersey City.
Jersey City Reservoir is a beautiful lake surrounded by trees and meadow-topped walls in the center of the Jersey City Heights. Since Jersey City discontinued use of the Reservoir for drinking water twenty years ago, nature has reclaimed the Reservoir area. Walking up the old stone steps today, one gets the opportunity to step out of our hectic world and into an oasis of quiet.Closed in with high stone walls, this “hidden jewel” is a stunning example of wildlife in this very urban area. Great blue heron, swallows, peregrine falcons, and numerous other birds find a haven here, and the residents of Jersey City, from students to seniors, would reap incalculable benefit from keeping this natural oasis alive and protected.The Reservoir stands just south of Pershing Field Park in the Heights section of Jersey City. The 1874 Egyptian Revival walls and Romanesque pump-houses are of major historical significance to our City and region.
Leonard Gordon Park Non-profit community volunteer park group based in Jersey City, NJ.
Lincoln Park is an urban park in Jersey City, New Jersey with an area of 273.4 acres. Opened in 1905, it was originally known as West Side Park. The park was designed by Daniel W. Langton and Charles N. Lowrie, both founding members of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
The park consists of two distinct sections: Lincoln Park East, 150.4 acres, and Lincoln Park West, 123 acres. The sections are named for their positions relative to U.S. Route 1/9 Truck, which passes between them and are connected by foot and vehicular bridges over the highway. The Lincoln Park Nature Walk is part of wetlands restoration project adjacent to the Hackensack River. The Hackensack RiverWalk is a partially completed greenway along the banks of the river running the length of the Hudson County shoreline. The East Coast Greenway also traverses the park.
While located in Jersey City, Lincoln Park is technically part of the Hudson County park system. They have a weekly farmers market in season.
The Lieutenant Robert P. Grover Memorial Park is located at the northwest corner of Broadman Parkway and John F. Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City. It is one of numerous municipal “pocket” parks which can be found throughout the city. Slightly less than one hundred feet square, Lt. Grover Park lies in the shadow of Snyder High School which stands directly across the street on Kennedy Boulevard.
The park features a fenced-in grassy area with several large shade trees. A pathway curves across the park connecting the Broadman Parkway entrance with another on Kennedy Boulevard. Recently, a local neighborhood organization, the Redstone Townhomes Neighborhood Association, has partnered with the City of Jersey City and the SIM-P Planning and Architecture Group to develop a plan for improving and enhancing the park with new seating areas and floral plantings which will make it more attractive and user-friendly.
Paulus Hook Park consists of four pocket parks located at the intersection of Grand and Washington Streets and was once the vibrant cultural and social hub of Jersey City’s oldest historic district, Paulus Hook. The park was drawn into the original 1804 Mangin planning map of Powles Hook.
The park’s rich history began with early Dutch settlements in the 1600s, but with the development of Paulus Hook in 1804, the area was covered by landfill, since what is now a street grid mapped with historic brownstones was once a swamp on three sides, and the Hudson river flanking it to the west at Hudson Street. But in 1779 the intersection of Grand and Washington Streets was a geographic high point, and as such was home to a British-held Revolutionary War fort. On August 19, Major Henry Light Horse Harry Lee lead a group of patriots to the fort, and in the early morning hours overtook its occupants in the name of the Patriots, in what is now known as the Battle of Paulus Hook.
As one enters Pershing Field on Summit Avenue, there is a large arch made of reddish colored stone; it is the only remnant of the Fourth Regiment Armory building that once stood at Montgomery Street and Bergen Avenue. After the armory building was destroyed in 1927, the arch was reconstructed at Pershing Field and provides a dramatic entrance to the passive side of the park. Both the Arch and the old Armory trace their history to that of the city’s Fourth National Guard Regiment whose origin goes back to just after the Civil War.
On July 22, 2017, the Tree Lovers Crew volunteered to take care of the trees lining the park. We worked with the Pershing Field Garden Club and pruned and water the trees. They do regularly scheduled gardening and maintaining events throughout the park, which you could find on their website.
Riverview-Fisk Park is a wonderful park located at the edge of the Heights. Riverview is located on Palisade Avenue. The park contains magnificent views of both the New York City Skyline and the Hudson River as well as the Verrazano Bridge and the George Washington Bridge. These views can be enjoyed while relaxing in the park gazebo. The Park also has a host of recreational activities such as two basketball courts and a playground for children. Due to the amazing views, Fourth of July has become a major day for the park. On this holiday thousands of people gather to watch the displays of fireworks across the New York skyline. This has become a tradition for lots of families and brings many newcomers each year.
Located in the Heights section of Jersey City, Riverview-Fisk Park is known for its great views, lively farmers market, and the Riverview Jazz Festival. For more info about the park and its events, check out the page for the Riverview Neighborhood Association.
Sgt. Joseph Anthony Park was a young boy who played ball in an empty lot across the street from his home on 87 Palisade Ave. He perfected his pitch as a star player on the Dickinson High School baseball team — enough to get the attention of the Dodgers and the Giants, who offered him contracts at the age of 18. At the time the country was immersed in World War II and he turned down those offers to heed the call of the Army Air Corps. He served as a tail gunner on the crew of a B-29.
He never returned to the site of his childhood pastimes after losing his life in 1944 on a mission at Paulaw in the Admiralty Islands in the South Pacific during the final days of World War II. At the time of his death, he had already been cited for bravery and flown 39 missions. He is one of the countless soldiers from Jersey City who never returned home from war and whose families seek a way to remember and celebrate their lives.
The once empty lot was converted into a park on May 1, 1949, and named Sgt. Anthony Park in his honor. Today the park is alive with visits from neighborhood families and local residents who go to enjoy the basketball court, dog run, community garden, and playground.
Van Vorst Park is the centerpiece of the downtown Jersey City neighborhood and historic district that bears the same name. Called “one of the most formal of Jersey City’s parks,” it was originally landscaped by a local florist and horticulturist Peter Henderson in 1851. The park has been described as an example of a town square similar to Washington Square Park in lower New York City. Occupying the entire rectangular city block between Montgomery Street, York Street, Jersey Avenue, and Barrow Street, Van Vorst Park is lined with ornate brick and brownstone rowhouses from the late 1800s that showcase a variety of popular Victorian architectural styles.
The park was renovated for $2 million in 1999 through the efforts of an association called the Friends of Van Vorst Park (FVVP). The park includes a gazebo, viewing fountain, and playground; plantings and trees provide a small verdant oasis along the walking paths. According to Clifford S. Waldman of the FVVP, the association renovated the park according to the intended goals of its benefactor Cornelius Van Vorst: “Van Vorst wanted a passive, Victorian park at the center of a rapidly growing neighborhood that would honor the centuries the Van Vorst family owned and developed this area, and perhaps he also wanted to honor the soon to vanish open land itself.
Village Park For over seven years the VNA and Village community have worked toward transforming the long-closed, abandoned and neglected pocket park into a reinvented open space that is unlike any Jersey City has ever seen. In the Fall of 2009, a competitive and exciting pro-bono design competition was conducted via a Request for Proposal and called for feedback and suggestions from Village residents.
At the October 2009 VNA meeting, over 60 attendees viewed four amazing visions for Village Park and overwhelmingly selected Future Green Studio for an imaginative modern design that uses recycled and sustainable materials; provides playful passive sections for children; features restive, meditative elements like a central lawn, walking paths; and pays respect and homage to the neighborhood’s Italian-American heritage.
Washington Park is a 100-year-old, 22-acre park in Hudson County between Union City and Jersey City. Washington Park Association of Hudson County, Inc. (WPA) vows to work with the community to revitalize, maintain and protect Washington Park in Hudson County, New Jersey, and promote its use through the development of programs and activities that enhance the quality of life of park users and local residents.